Many people want the opportunity to discuss their retirement situation and financial affairs with people who are knowledgeable in this area and who have no conflicts of interest. Few such opportunities are available.
We have provided this service, to several thousand people over more than 20 years.
Retirement Benefits Counselling.
From 1st March 2019 anyone leaving employment must be offered retirement benefits counselling to help them make informed decisions about how to invest their retirement fund moneys.
Retirement benefits counselling is a great improvement on the current state of retirement fund member education but it is not a substitute for this education.
- Retirement Benefits Counselling is not about giving advice it is about explaining the options available to the departing member and making sure that they understand the consequences of each option;
- Retirement Benefits Counsellors need detailed knowledge of the fund and its defaults and a good understanding of the retirement process.
- Retirement Benefits Counselling is NOT giving advice and or selling financial products;
- Retirement Benefits Counselling is NOT pronouncing judgements;
- Retirement Benefits Counselling is NOT encouraging members to any particular course of action.
As our counselling work complies with all the above criteria we believe that all the work we do in this area can truthfully be described as Retirement Benefits Counselling.
Resignation and Dismissal Retirement Benefits Counselling
The member may leave their accumulated retirement funds in the retirement fund of the employer they are leaving. It is important that they be made aware of all the options available to them for their retirement investments.
Full Retirement Counselling
Making this service available to retiring members at least 6 months before they leave will provide those members with basic financial retirement counselling and, in the process, meet the requirements of the Pension Funds Act;
Making this service available to retrenched employees within 6 months of their leaving will provide them with some financial basic retrenchment counselling and, in the process, meet the requirements of both the Pension Funds and Labour Relations Acts.